Geoff Walker & Keith Johnson are members of the South Leicestershire Litter Wombles. In 2020 a request was made to the group by a local school, to go into the school and present to the children a talk on litter and Litter picking.
So despite the old adage of never volunteering Geoff and Keith stepped up. We started with a basic premise of trying to engage and educate in a friendly and informative way. We carried out the first one in front of 400 children in a school local to both of us. The reception from both children and staff was fantastic. We knew then that the concept had mileage, but then Covid hit and everything stopped. Meeting the Head of St Johns Primary, Trudi Collotto led to Zoom Presentations, not perfect but it started the ball rolling again!
It was immediately apparent that a completely different approach was required to run the initiative and W.I.L.E Wombles In Litter Education was created by Geoff in March 2021, to deal soley with the education side away from the running of the litter picking group.
The idea behind the W.I.L.E initiative is very simple, visit schools and give our presentation to as many children as possible. Teaching them the harm that is being done to our planet by the careless throwing of litter, the waste of materials, plastics and aluminium etc in a friendly interactive presentation. It quickly became obvious that we needed an entirely different way of operating. The use of computers and the internet allowing us to contact and make appointments etc etc,
W.I.L.E Wombles In Litter Education was the result. To the end of 2022 we had visited 108 schools or groups, being seen by 22,900 children
What We Do!
1 ) Whole school assemblies in both primary and senior level schools
2) Take part in class litter picks. Advising etc.
3) Engage with community groups, Scouts, Youth Clubs etc.
4) Engage with other groups, council and volunteers involved with the education sector.
5) We operate over the whole county.
6) Helping in school eco clubs.
7) Mentoring those using Litter Picking in the volunteering section of the Duke Of Edinburgh's Award Scheme.
8) Engaging with those looking to start a schools initiative in their area.
Our concept is very simple, a powerpoint presentation with table displays of collected grot, some of it over 100 years old, all found in the hedges, ditches and roads of Leicestershire.
The presenataion is split into 3 sections, 1) who we are, what Wombles are and why we do what we do! the sorts of littering we find. Trapped animals , (Nothing Nasty),
2) The Quiz, this usually starts discussion when they find out how long crisp packets and drink cans last. 3) and finally wider issues with how the children can help. The feedback is overwhelmingly positive. We've been told the little ones won't sit still. OH YES THEY DO! They soon become engrossed in what we have to say!
The presentation is provided free of charge to all schools in conjunction with your curriculum activities. The taking of our presentation will also give you points for your eco award activities.